Monday, June 29, 2009

Florida Bugs!

So, yeah, this lovely little guy was waiting at the hotel entrance for me today! Of course, I almost had a heart attack when I saw him. To make it all better, the front desk lady said... "What was you lookin at out there" (Yes her English is THAT great!) When I said it was the most gigantic bug, she replied "Oh yeah, ya know if ya step on 'em thay pop?" EXCUSE ME???!!! I almost died out there! Why would I step on it!!!!!!



So the conferences I am at are put on by a company who use Scientology and the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard as the base for their material. Kinda weird. So we pull up and I'm like, "Wow! look at that awesome hotel!" Then I'm told its the Scientology Headquarters! (Picture above) What?! So, I think maybe Tom & Katie are there being electrocuted and shaking cans over each other?! and I could meet them!!! No such luck...(I have no idea if those are real "procedures", but I also wouldn't be surprised if they are) but I did learn some really interesting (or completely weird) things...

1. If I yawn at any time during the seminar it is not because I am tired, but because I do not understand a word. Yep a word. So they supply dictionaries and if they see you yawn they ask you what word you don't understand!

2. They have L. Ron pictures all over...every wall in every room....he's always watching! Some of the pictures remind me of Walt Disney which creeps me out even more...I'm working on sneaking a picture.

3. Along with the giant headquarters they also actually have a hotel next to it. So I wasn't totally wrong! Yeah, I'm barley hanging on at the Comfort Suites, like I would stay there.

4. When you bring up topics like Jesus vs. L. Ron they tell you, you can have both! No way! You mean I can believe in God but still worship this guy too...Sweet right?! It's like they can't decide so lets just have both. Classic examples of doing what works for your lifestyle instead of just believing the truth even if it's hard.

5. All of these seminars are considered non-profit because the are managed through the religion....really smart or tax evasion???

6. Finally, in the seminars they play white noise over the speakers. It is supposed to make you focus and not notice the person next to you...me? All I did was constantly look around at the ceiling and wonder that the heck that noise was!!!...But I had to be careful, looking around also means I don't understand a word!

1 comment:

Mettler's said...

OMG- that bug creeps me out and so does the scientology place! Keep updating us!