Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chubby Bunny

I was lucky enough to get another ultrasound last week! I was a volunteer patient for a group of students learning about the medical field. So, this wasn't a very 'medical' exam but for fun and learning instead. We did learn some things....

BABY STATS 34 Weeks
  • Babe measured at 5.5 pounds and a June 12th arrival....yikes! Big and soon! These final measurements aren't terribly accurate at this stage in pregnancy so we're not falling for this big and early info!
  • She has chubby cheeks! The doctor said she's got some good cheeks for pinching, yeah! If you look under the 'top' eye you can see her cheek.
  • They also found...hair! Not a ton, but a good amount of peach fuzz currently coats her head.
  • According to the books, at 34 weeks, she's almost 5 pounds and around 18 inches. Not too far from the tech's measurements.
  • At 34 weeks she could be born without major complications. We've kind of reached that 'any day now' point. Of course we don't want her quite this early so we're hoping she stays in for a few more weeks.
  • If you're having trouble making out the picture do this... stand back, locate the eyes (those big black 'holes'!) know the nose is between them, the mouth below that, then she's got an arm almost touching her mouth.
MAMA STATS
  • Current weight gain...you ready??...18 pounds! eek! I feel like a giant person! With potentially 6 full weeks left I'm hoping to stay around 20-25 total. If not this baby better be 10 pounds ;)
  • My doctor switch went okay. I miss my old one. I'm not connecting with the new one so much. She thinks I'm too easy going, I think she needs to chill. Women in foreign countries squat in fields alone and have babies just fine, I'll be fine, it will all work out.
  • I feel all right. At this point I've realized I'm never going to be myself again. I don't remember normal or what it felt like. I just hope I can get close to normal after she's born. And, by normal I mean not feeling dizzy, nauseous, weak, fat...
  • I feel pretty organized. Her room is coming along just fine and should be complete in the next few weeks. The house is almost put back from the new carpet. Just a few more things to organize, paint, pick up and we'll be looking pretty good.
DADDY STATS
  • Dad has sympathy stomach pain. He pulled an ab muscle so he's been getting a little taste of what it's like to move and function without using those muscles.
  • The weather has killed his golf game. Again I point out it is not my fault!
  • Lots of changes could be happening at work: shift changes, pay cuts, medical cost increases. All really fun things. Not. We just have to wait and see, there's not much we can do.
BROTHER AND SISTER STATS
  • JAKE hasn't changes much since I've been pregnant. He followed me around before and he follows me around now! We're curious to see if he transfers some of that protection obsession to the babe. He does well when we practice going in her room, after a quick check to make sure everything is okay he will lay down very nicely. Typical Jake, has to 'clear' the room before I enter.
  • JERSEY is definitely going to be a helper! She loves to check everything out and ever tries to taste some of the baby's things. We have one stuffed animal that play music, I thought I'd play it for them so they could get used to noises that might be new. Jersey loves this! She 'sings' along by howling whenever I turn it on! She just wants to see, hear, smell, and touch everything!
  • STELLA is clueless. Seriously her life is all about getting to drink out of the sink and not much else seems to affect her. She hasn't changed one bit during this pregnancy! Gotta appreciate her consistency! When in the baby room she peeks in the crib wanders around then leaves as if she's had enough. This actually make me happy because this was one of her favorite places to sleep before we banned her from going in. There were a few days of crying outside the door but I'm happy she's adjusted well.
  • SILVIO has changed the most. Especially these last few weeks, he has become my best buddy. He regularly sleeps by me, lets me pet him and is always around me. This is NOT typical Silvio behavior! When in the baby room he is curious about everything, which is very typical Silvio! He was the first to try and jump in the crib. I've been very careful to not allow that. I'm very much enjoying his affection and hope he doesn't get too mad when I bring home the screamer.

3 comments:

Aunt Nikki said...

"She", "She", I have been gone a week. What did I miss?

The Graumans said...

We've known it's a girl for about 15+ weeks.

jrshinn@gmail.com said...

Yeah, I'm hearing on you on one point in particular: get used to forgetting what "life" used to be like - this IS your life now!! Sigh. Don't think about it. ;)






And for goodness sakes, don't hang around with people who still have their "lives".